Thursday, May 22, 2014

Hexagon quilting

To those of you wondering how my Hollyhocks in a Castle Garden was quilted, I decided to show some close-ups shots of my hand quilting on the hexagons.



 The center of each flower has stitching right around the hexagon as shown below:
For my quilting thread, below is what I use along with Betweens #8 quilting needles.  I switched to this thread many quilts ago, simply because I got tired of hearing threads snapping in my quilts whenever I made the bed.  This thread is strong and no thread snapping has occurred since switching to this brand of thread.  Since the thread is thicker, the needle head has to be bigger and Betweens #8 works.  Also, my hand quilting shows up better because of the thicker thread.
Sometimes, I'm able to rock my needle when hand quilting and sometimes only one stitch at a time gets made.  My fingers are not as flexible as they once were and my stitches per inch varies depending on batting that is used.  As long as my stitches look uniform, I'm happy.  Hand quilting is to be relaxing and enjoyable and I have made it so for me.

Have a great day!


If you are not reading this post on www.appliqueandpatches.blogspot.com or http://www.quilterblogs.com/, it is pirated content!  No other websites are authorized to use my work.   Please click the above links to go to my real sites and please help spread the word about this scrapper site’s unethical use of other people’s work. We quilters are just fed up with this abuse!

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

That quilt looks lovely on your wall! There is quite a lot of quilting in it, too - it's lovely to see. Would you believe I can recognise some of those fabrics in my own stash too.......

Dolores said...

How big is the finished quilt? I was using some Gutterman quilting thread yesterday on a baby panel and it shredded - for no reason. There's not much left on the spool but once it's gone, no more Gutterman. I only bought it for the colour. I much prefer Coats and Clark.

paulette said...

That is good to know about the thread! I am on the search!! Thanks! Your quilt and quilting looks incredible!
P

Mary Ann said...

Thanks for the info on size of your needle and type of thread you use...........I hope to try my hand at hand quilting.......

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Beautiful quilting

Julie Fukuda said...

I have been thinking of that beautiful quilt ever since you showed the finish. The close-ups are great.
I have found that dual-duty plus is a thread that holds up well. I have tried others but always go back. My mother always bought cheapest thread and all her stitches have disintegrated over time ... to the point that all our baby quilts had to be re-quilted before being passed to the grand kids.